Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. will be showcasing new innovative projects developed from its C-Lab program at CES® 2024, which runs from January 9-12. During the showcase, Samsung will highlight 15 startups and projects — the highest number the company has ever featured — at Eureka Park at the Venetian Expo in Las Vegas, the main exhibition space for startups at the world’s biggest tech show.
This year’s CES is expected to feature more than 1,000 startups and attract more than 130,000 visitors from around the world, including business executives, investors and media. At the event, Samsung expects startups from C-Lab to assess global market responses, strengthen their business feasibility and meet with investors.
“The goal of the C-Lab program is to elevate a platform for startups to grow and flourish,” said Pilgyu Jeon, executive vice president and head of the creativity & innovation center at Samsung Electronics. “CES is the perfect venue for these exciting companies and projects to show major tech players that they belong on the global stage.”
The C-Lab program was created in 2012 and since it was established, Samsung has nurtured a total of 872 startups and projects. This includes 475 through C-Lab Outside and 397 through C-Lab Inside. In particular, the 537 C-Lab startups (62 from C-Lab Spin-off and 475 from C-Lab Outside) have raised a cumulative total of US$1 billion in investment.
C-Lab Outside was created in October 2018, and startups selected for the program receive full support — including office workspaces, customized development programs and investment — along with business cooperation from Samsung Electronics.
Dr.Tail, an online veterinary consultation service, has collaborated with Samsung Electronics to bring its services to Samsung Smart TVs and will be exhibited at the C-Lab booths at CES.
In addition to Dr.Tail, Samsung Electronics will exhibit nine other startups selected and supported by the C-Lab Outside program:
- RebuilderAI: AI solutions for fast and easy 3D content creation on smartphones
- Ghost Pass: decentralized remote biometric authentication solutions
- DEEPX: an NPU-basedAI semiconductor
- Style Bot: a fashion recommendation service based on user-owned clothing data
- Vsion: a smart window with adjustable transparency
- DolbomDream: a smart, inflatable jacket designed to monitor the health of senior citizens
- 60Hertz: an AI-powered virtual power plant (VPP) solution
- Wrtn Technologies: a generative AI portal service
- NdotLight: a web-based collaborative 3D design platform
“We are excited to be part of C-Lab’s high-profile startup booth at Eureka Park,” said Sunkwan Lee, CEO of Ghost Pass. “Thanks to the support of Samsung C-Lab, we won the CES Innovation Award this year, which I think makes this year’s CES a good opportunity for us to take a step toward going global.”
Samsung has been exhibiting its C-Lab Inside projects at CES since 2016, and this year’s CES exhibit will feature two projects that are currently being fostered in-house. These projects are from the healthcare and pet-tech sectors and have been highly regarded for their innovation, marketability, and completeness:
- EARS: a healthcare platform that analyzes brain waves captured by earbuds
- DumboCam: a pet training platform that utilizes Vision AI
In 2016, Samsung Electronics introduced its C-Lab spin-off program, which allows C-Lab Inside projects with high market potential to be launched as fully-fledged startups. At CES 2024, three C-Lab spin-off startups — which initially started as C-Lab Inside projects — will showcase their innovative products in C-Lab booths:
- Yellosis: smart toilets and AI healthcare solutions based on measurement of liquid body waste
- Becon: AI-powered hair loss management solutions
- Goose Labs: metaverse home workout app with real-time motion-sensing avatars
In November 2023, the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) announced the winners of the CES 2024 Innovation Awards, including the award for Best of Innovation. Projects from the C-Lab program received one Best of Innovation Award and 22 Innovation Award Honorees.
Samsung is sharing its knowledge of winning CES Innovation Awards and entering the global market with the C-Lab startups, which has allowed them to find success. At CES 2024, 16 C-Lab Outside startups were named as Innovation Award Honorees. As for C-Lab Spin-off startups, one project received a Best of Innovation Award and four were named Innovation Award Honorees.